The Philadelphia Eagles wrapped up their preseason against the New York Jets last night. The Eagles had a strong preseason finishing 4-0 and more importantly no severe injuries. The following are notes and conclusions from last night’s final preseason game.
- Trent Edwards played phenomenal football yet again. His stats were 22-for-32 for 197 yards and two touchdowns, along with 4 rushes for 36 yards including a 3rd and forever for a first down in the redzone. In this guy’s opinion, he deserves to not only make the Eagles final roster, but to be Michael Vick’s primary backup.
- Backup running backs Bryce Brown and Chris Polk played tremendous football also yet again. They each scored a touchdown and continuously made defenders miss, or in Polk’s case he just ran over them.
- Akeem Jordan was the only projector starter that played. He only had one tackle in just two series, but that was a 3rd and short tackle for a loss. Great individual effort
- Surprising strong play was from Frank Trotter. He was a terror throughout registering 4 tackles with 2 of them sacks and 2 of them tackles for loss. He also drew several holding penalties.
- Vinny Curry plays with the same hustle as Trent Cole. He also accumulated 2 sacks. Philadelphia Eagles fans will love him for a long time.
- Mardy Gilyard made his case to be the 6th wide receiver, if the Eagles choose to keep that many. He hauled in 5 catches for 71 yards and a touchdown and that wasn’t his most impressive play of the game. He had two punt return yards and got probably every yard anyone could have and he made an outstanding (really it was amazing) special teams tackle on a kickoff.
- Jaiquawn Jarrett made some nice plays tonight including a pass deflection.
- It won’t show up in the stats but Phillip Thomas made two great hits that caused incompletions
- Brian Rolle showed he will be ready if Jordan falters as the starter. He accrued 6 tackles.
- The leader in tackles – Ryan Rau with 7. He stuffed run plays for little to no gain all game long.
- Keenan Clayton followed up his standout performance against the Cleveland Browns with an outstanding game, especially in coverage. He was even more than serviceable against the run.
- Damaris Johnson was fun to watch and more importantly didn’t have a drop this game. In fact he had two impressive catches.
- Jaiquawn Jarrett missed some tackles and was possibly responsible for the Jets opening touchdown. There was a blown coverage and it’s difficult to tell who was to blame.
- Team tackling on the first drive was terrible again for the Eagles.
- Emil Igwenagu was called for a holding pentaly on a long Polk run.
- Demetress Bell was awful. He missed blocks and drew at least one holding penalty. Bell has been a disappointment at a very important position since he became an Eagle.
What It Means:
- Edwards makes the roster and Mike Kafka is out. This isn’t a slight against Kafka, but rather kudos to Edwards playing brilliant football this preseason.
- Trotter should make the practice squad. Hopefully he won’t be swooped up by a defensive tackle needy team.
- Gilyard will at least be on the practice squad, if not the Eagles final roster. Do you know who was on a practice squad two seasons ago? Victor Cruz – and look where he is now.
- Jarrett makes the team as a backup safety by default because OJ Atogwe was injured again.
- Thomas is the final safety that makes the Eagles roster. Either him for Jarrett will likely be booted if Colt Anderson is healthy enough later in the season.
- Bell is struggling with Howard Mudd’s scheme greatly. He might not even be the backup tackle anymore losing his job to rookie Dennis Kelly.
- With the emergence of Johnson and Gilyard, sadly Chad Hall will not make the Eagles roster. Perhaps practice squad?
- Rau is a practice squad lock. It’s a possibility that he or Clayton make the Eagles final roster over Casey Mathews. Perhaps Mathews moves to the PUP while recovering from a high ankle sprain to give the Eagles more time to figure out the linebacker position.
Well that wraps it up. Stay tuned for Eagles final roster predictions and analysis as final rosters must be submitted by 9 pm tonight.