Who is this player from the history book of the Philadelphia Eagles? Scroll down slowly. When you put your answer into the comment section, tell us how many clues you needed until you got it.
1) He attended South Dakota State, where he excelled in both track and field as well as football.
2) He was originally drafted by the Detroit Lions, but did not make their team.
3) He was selected for the Pro Bowl five times in his career.
4) He was president of the NFL Players Association for two years.
5) He won the Bert Bell Award for NFL player of the year in a year when he caught 66 passes, including ten touchdowns.
6) One of his nicknames was The Baron.
7) His other nickname was Pistol Pete.
8) His jersey number 44 has been retired by the Eagles. (If you don’t know it now, you aren’t really an Eagles fan)
A hat tip to Langley McGhee, whose concept I have adapted, with permission.